What is EEG?
- Electroencephalography (EEG) is the recording of electrical activity along the head produced by the firing of neurons within the brain. EEG is required in the cases of epilepsy, coma, encephalopathies, and brain death.
- An EEG is a painless test that measures electrical activity of the brain.
- An EEG takes approximately one hour.
- A technician will place small metal electrodes on the scalp with white adhesive paste. You will be lying in a dark and quiet room while recording. You will be asked to do breathe deeply for several minutes and look at a bright flickering light.
- The recording machine converts the electrical signals into a series of waves that are recorded by the computer. These signals are then studied and interpreted by the physician.
Which conditions require EEG ?
EEG is done in the following conditions:
- Epilepsy to confirm the diagnosis.
- In spells of unconsciousness/ fainting – EEG is useful in differentiating these disorders from epilepsy.
- Encephalitis (viral inflammation of brain e.g viral infections).
- Brain tumour.
What to do before the Test?
- You will need to wash your hair with shampoo before coming for the test.
- You should not use any oils, sprays or conditioner on your hair before the test.
- You may also continue your usual medicines unless instructed otherwise by your doctor.
- You can eat before the test.
- You need to get up at 4 a.m. on the morning of the test. This will make you fall asleep at the time of the test.
- You can eat before the test; however, you should avoid stimulants (e.g., coffee, tea, cold drinks, chocolate, smoking, etc) for 8 hours prior to the test.
- Because you may be sleepy, please have someone else drive you to and from the hospital
How much does EEG cost ?
EEG cost is Rs 2000 at our center.